Triathlon Excellence Program TEP
SPONSORS OF THE TRIATHLON EXCELLENCE PROGRAM
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To establish a nationally recognised HP program in Perth WA to align with the TA High Performance Plan
- To develop athletes within the TWA high performance program, with a view to progression along the Triathlon Australia High Performance pathway, and as such on to National and potentially International representation
- To offer positive training experiences to our athletes by promoting skill development, motivation and athlete education for athletes to reach their potential.
- To foster team environment between athletes, parents, and all coaches concerned
- To create a high quality training environment for elite young male and female triathletes
- To test and monitor athletes to assist their individual coach in maximising the performance of the athlete for competition
- To provide selected athletes with support and team structure to be able to compete at National ITU Junior and Under 23 events.
- To provide experiences that increase levels of Coach Education by including athlete’s individual coaches in TEP Squad activities. (Combining Home Coach & TEP Coach Sessions in any week)
|March 2013||Date: TBC Time: TBC
Cost – entry to Challenge Stadium
|Date – TBC
Cost – entry to WA Athletics Centre
Location – WA Athletics Stadium
TRIATHLON EXCELLENCE PROGRAM SQUAD ATHLETES FOR 2012/2013
TEP SQUAD COMPONENTS:
TEP SHADOW SQUADS:
- TEP Shadow Squad – (13-14 yrs)
- TEP Shadow Squad – (15 -16 yrs)
TRIATHLON EXCELLENCE PROGRAM TEP SQUADS:
- Triathlon Excellence Program 16-19YRS
- Triathlon Excellence Program 20-23 YRS
- Triathlon Excellence Program Professional Athletes – Athletes holding a Professional License and considered World Class or International in their discipline – ITU Olympic, Duathlon, Ironman, Ironman 70.3
The National Talent Academy (NTA) is relatively new national initiative funded by the Triathlon Australia High Performance Unit. The NTA will operate in 4 States with the NTA Coach working in close alignment with each State Development (TEP) program. The elite NTA program will work closely with the TEP program parameters . In 2012 WA athletes Jaz Hedgeland and Kenji Nener qualified to participate within the NTA .
|NTA ATHLETES 2012|
|KENJI NENER||JAZ HEDGELAND|
The TEP Squad is selected from a series of benchmarked Time Trials that are determined each year by the Triathlon Australia High Performance Unit. This selection policy ensures that the athletes are all ranked in similar catergories around Australia. The TEP squad competes in the TA National Series, ITU Junior races interstate and in some years overseas. The squad selection for 12/13 will be completed by August 2012. Athletes must submit Time Trials under the required TEP benchmark times on an ongoing basis (6-8 weeks) to maintain their TEP squad position.
The squad receives annual funding for coaching, testing, national and international race travel expense assistance equipment/facility use and uniforms from WA Department Sport & Recreation, Triathlon Australia High Performance and Triathlon WA.
The TEP squad Head Coach Grant Landers a level 2 Triathlon Coach firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEP INFORMATION EVENING DOCUMENTS:
The Triathlon Excellence Program is the WA junior development program forming a key component of the TWA High Performance Plan and working in alignment with the National HP Program to deliver sustained international success. The TEP program as it is fondly known, works towards delivering a high performance training and competition environment in WA ensuring our WA athletes have a strong support structure to ensure their continued improvement and delivery of podium results. The TEP program in WA is overseen by the TEP Head Coach Dr. Grant Landers.
TEP PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE PROGRAM
The TEP Professional Athlete program was born out of endorsement and support for elite athletes racing in International Triathlon Union (ITU) and/or World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) events. Triathlon WA will provide funding support to off-set the cost of professional licensing in the following amounts:
- Triathlon WA will fund 100% of the cost of professional licensing for those professional Western Australian triathletes who rank in the top 50 in the ITU rankings (Olympic, Duathlon, Long Course) or WTC rankings (Ironman or 70.3) from the previous year in which the application for funding is submitted.
- Triathlon WA will fund 50% of the cost of professional licensing for those professional Western Australia triathletes who rank in the top 150 in the ITU rankings (Olympic, Duathlon, Long Course) or WTC rankings (Ironman or 70.3) from the previous year in which the application for funding is submitted.
Funded professional triathletes may also be eligible for sport science support and attend specific training camps. Individual professional athlete should address their requirements directly to Triathlon WA.
To be eligible for consideration in the TEP Professional Athlete Program you must:
- be over 18 years
- be a current member of Triathlon WA
- hold a Triathlon Australia Professional License
WAIS SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Applicable to past WAIS scholarship athletes or athletes on representing, or capable of representing Australia on the Australian National Olympic Team(s), World Cup and Commonwealth teams. For more information please see the WAIS website.
Regional Athlete Scholarships
Smarter then Smoking Country Sports Scholarship Program - A DSR initiative for regional sub elite triathletes & is also based on distances from Perth. This scholarship closes in June each year and grants are announced around September. Being titled “sub elite emerging athlete” it is very applicable to TEP & TEP Shadow Squad members in regional areas. (NOTE – Mandurah is included) More details available on www.dsr.wa.go.au
NOTE: Some councils offer travel scholarships for athletes U18 who are selected as State Representatives and are competing interstate.
It is worthwhile checking with your local Council to establish any availability and their guidelines.