TRYStars is an introduction into the sport of triathlon which has a focus on fun & enjoyment, while encouraging kids to be with friends and make new friends. It enables kids to develop skills, ability and fitness in a non-competitive environment. TRYStars is a national program which is managed on a state by state basis to encourage healthy and active participation in the sport. It plays an integral role as the first step of the participation pathway for all juniors.
The TRYStars programs are offered by certain TWA Affiliated Clubs to members in the 7-15 year range. Contact your local Tri club to see if this program is available in your area. All TRYStars participants have access to club run training sessions which are fun and inclusive, with a focus on Triathlon skill development. Each individual registered TRYStar member will be provided with TRYStars starters pack upon joining a club.
For the 2012 /13 season anyone under the age of 19 (as at 31st December 2012) is classified as a ‘junior’. Children between the ages of 7 and 11 years are classified as ‘non-competitive’. Those aged 12 to 19 years can race competitively in Junior State Series Events (click here) or in Enticer Events (for Enticer Events participants will need to review the event calender for Enticer Event offerings).
TRYStar Programs are on offer at the following Clubs in the 2012/2013 Season.
The Benefits of a TRYStars Club Program
- All members enjoy the opportunity to train within a safe and friendly environment
- Each member receives a TRYStars starter Pack (this will include a rash vest, a swim cap, a water bottle)
- Each term you will receive a participation & competency certificate
- Clubs have specific TRYStars Coaches & Volunteers who create specific training environments to cater for all participation levels.
- Insurance coverage whilst training & participating in TRYStars events. You will have the opportunity to participate in the annual Interclub TRYStars event each year
- Opportunities for kids triathlons at Chillout Tadpoles events; Weetbix events; SunSmart Regional Kids Triathlons; Ironman WA Ironkids; SunSmart Ironman 70.3 Regional kids triathlon (registration fees payable for these extra events are run as a commercial activity)
- Your clubs will host various club events during the season and most of them will cater for a TRYStars category
All of these types of events are graded by age and distances, we are very clear that we do not wish for young participants to be participating in age groups above their ability. TRYStars is solely non-competitive and you will have plenty of opportunities when you are over the age of 13 to become more competitive and race against your peers. These distances have been set by Triathlon Australia based on medical input. For further information regarding the specified age/distance rulings for juniors is available by reviewing the TA Race Competition Rules.